commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: Maven build fixes affecting almost all projects
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 12:21:09 GMT
Dion Gillard wrote on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 12:11 PM:

> Questions:

As a general answer to the <increasedVersion>-SNAPSHOT: A POM with a final version should
never be available as latest trunk revision. Such a version may only be in the POM when the
release is cut and later immediately returned to a snapshot version. Why? Everyone that checks
out the sources, builds and installs the artifacts will overwrite the official version from
the remote repositories. Even worse if one deploys and has the right to deploy. In the first
case only the user with the wrong version in his local repository is affected in the second
one the whole community ... remember commons-io-1.0 case.

Said that, I believe that the cli version should have been increased in the POM also and it
was an oversight not doing so. IMHO we should just decide, what version scheme should be used
for snapshots. IMHO artifact-<major>.<minor>-SNAPSHOT is always enough and it

- Jörg