commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Together, and bricks apart
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 04:09:15 GMT
> On 11/30/05, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 12/1/05, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> > > Release managers are also facing tougher release checkers now IMHO. For
> > > instance, I haven't ignored configuration, but haven't had the time to
> > > check it out properly (way too much to do). I try to only give a +1 if I
> > > genuinely am happy. Perhaps I'm now applying too high a standard? Its a
> > > tough balance.
> >
> > Adding to what Stephen said, voting +1 to me means at a minimum you're
> > indicating knowledge of the code and/or an intention to support it in
> > some way. For me I can do that on only 3 to 5 of the Commons
> > components. A good example is FileUpload - as a user I would like to
> > see a release, but I only recently looked at a bit of the code and
> > made a minor contribution. When it comes to a vote I'm not sure
> > whether I'll vote for it or not as I don't think I have the time to
> > actually provide any support. Is this the generally accepted criteria
> > or do others follow more or less lenient criteria?
>

> I think most people voting +1 are _not_ saying they're prepared to support
> it. Rather, they're saying something more like "I've checked out the
> proposed distribution, and didn't see any issues, so I'm happy for the
> Commons Foo team to release it as is". How much work is behind each +1 I'm
> sure varies from person to person. Some, like Stephen, are putting more
> effort into checking out the builds than they used to, while I'm sure others
> are more lenient.
>
> I hope I'm not wrong on this. If I am, and you're right, Niall, then I might
> as well give up on ever getting another FileUpload release out the door,
> based on how few people other than myself have ever touched the code base
> over the last several years.
>
> --
For me +1 means pretty much what Martin describes above.  I check the
release contents, make sure required elements are there and in jars,
make sure there is nothing funny included.  I test the builds,
validate sigs, etc and inspect the web site and, if present,
clirr/jdiff and look carefully at the release notes.  I also review
the javadoc, maven reports and POM.   I do try to learn a little more
with each release that I review; but at this point I can only provide
support for a handful of commons components personally, so my +1
really just means I have validated the release and based on what I see
and have seen on the list the release is good to go.

I have been derelict over the past couple of weeks though, due to this
being a very busy time of year and my trying to get [math] released.
I will review the outstanding candidates ASAP.

Phil