commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [collections] LRUBug
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 04:37:53 GMT
On 11/21/05, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > i've been running the SOAK tests for over 7 days now without a problem.
> > if there is a bug in the collections code (as opposed to problems with
> > synchronization) then i don't think that it'll be discovered by those
> > tests. i can't see any reason for the code to fail when correctly
> > synchronized. so, i think it'd be best release as is and hope that (if
> > the problem exists) someone will donate some production code we can
> > run.
> +1

+1 from me as well.  One day, when someone has some time and energy,
it would be great to document how the data structures in LRUMap and
its superclasses work in the class javadocs.   IIUC, there really is
no way that the NPEs reported can happen without modifying keys or
unsynchronized concurrent access.

> > what is becoming clear to me is that a number of users have been
> > confused by the need to synchronize the maps. i've added some
> > clarifications to the javadocs for LRUMap.
> > would it be a good idea (for me) to add explicit notes about the need to
> > synchronize maps to other javadocs? and to the user guide?
> I've added a note to all relevant map javadocs (slightly amended from
> your text. It would be good if you could add to the user guide.
>

> > BTW i get problems with jdiff (no CVSROOT) when i try maven
> > site:generate any tips?
> Perhaps try the latest jdiff plugin? I have 1.5 and maven jdiff works.

Yes, subversion support was added in version 1.5 of the jdiff plugin.

Phil