commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [all] Together, and bricks apart
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 06:59:45 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:
> For me +1 means pretty much what Martin describes above.  I check the
> release contents, make sure required elements are there and in jars,
> make sure there is nothing funny included.  I test the builds,
> validate sigs, etc and inspect the web site and, if present,
> clirr/jdiff and look carefully at the release notes.  I also review
> the javadoc, maven reports and POM.   I do try to learn a little more
> with each release that I review;
Thats true, I'll learn with every release review too, but can do this
only if another one complains about this and that.
If I read the stuff you do to check a release I am shocked, damn much
work to do.

At least one of you "release checkers" ;-) should setup a wiki to
describe every step to do,  this helps the release manager and those
checking it.
Especially if you are a newbie in the release cycle it might be a great
start AND it defines standards.

One thing which drives me crazy is that I dont know what to do to make a
project ready for a release.
I have to wait if anyone complains on an RC and even then, in case of
[vfs] the real release blocker were uncovered while voting for 1.0 -
after we have had a couple of month one RC after another!
And e.g. we started to discuss if we have to convert line-endings -
after years (!) of commons releases - and we were not able to have a
vital discussion about this little topic.

These are really demotivating things!

---
Mario