commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [all] Together, and bricks apart
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:20:09 GMT
Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> I'm also seeing a trend that is a tad disappointing. The last three
> successive release votes each needed to make pleas for a better
> response from the developer community.
>
> I'm afraid it might be easy to misunderstand or ridicule this email,
> point to the some Apache voting FAQ, and move on. This is not a
> statement about individuals -- rather the community -- indeed,
> personally, I've done nothing to help in the above cases, including
> even choosing not to cast non-binding opinions when the votes came up.
>
> I'll be glad if I'm told I've misunderstood the current state of
> affairs, maybe RMs are just anxious by nature (comes with the
> territory), this is all *expected* to happen, and I'm the only one who
> sees things in a different light. I'll be happier still if this were
> an abberation rather than the norm.

You are certainly correct in spotting these cases, however other votes
will also go through. One of the big issues I have with Apache is the
amount of procedure and boring stuff necessary to go through to get a
release released.

The vote is really the tip of the iceberg, the real effort is in the
uploading, copying, signing, linking... Releasing at sourceforge is a
dream by comparison (although its an unfair comparison of course).

Release managers are also facing tougher release checkers now IMHO. For
instance, I haven't ignored configuration, but haven't had the time to
check it out properly (way too much to do). I try to only give a +1 if I
genuinely am happy. Perhaps I'm now applying too high a standard? Its a
tough balance.

Stephen