commons-dev mailing list archives

From Elliotte Harold <elh...@metalab.unc.edu>
Subject Re: [math] Complex operations and C99x compliance
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:15:06 GMT
Phil Steitz wrote:

> It would be great to have some more eyeballs verify that javadoc -
> code - tests are all now in synch and the documentation is clear.

A couple of notes:

"A complex number analogous to Double.NaN" isn't quite descriptive
enough. I'd suggest specifying that it's NaN + NaNi (if indeed that's
the case)

Delete the period from "Returns: the complex number sum." Same thing for
a lot of other Returns clauses that are not complete sentences including
getImaginary and getReal. See
http://java.sun.com/j2se/javadoc/writingdoccomments/#styleguide
particularly the section on @param and @return

Under divide "Throws NullPointerException if rhs is null." looks funny.
Maybe an @throws is missing in the source code?

Major: The isNaN spec seems contradictory. It says:

     Returns true if this complex number is equal to the special
Not-a-Number (NaN) value.

     Returns:
         true if either or both parts of this complex number take NaN
values; false otherwise.

The first sentence differs from the second. Also what does it means that
a part of a complex number takes a NaN value? I suggest rewriting like this:

     Returns true if either or both parts of this complex number is NaN;
false otherwise.

     Returns:
         true if either or both parts of this complex number is NaN;
false otherwise

Under multiply, "infintite" should be "infinite". Same correction under
subtract.