commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <>
Subject Re: [jci] commons-logging use Was: patches
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 23:28:19 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:
> I really dislike the idea of a fork at this stage.

Agreed. I'm trying to bring back a fork, so let's not make a third :)

> As of the event model - it just feels a bit like
> re-inventing commons-logging.

I don't agree (this is why I've posted here, not under a [logging]
thread - I don't think this is about the relative merits of c-l).

I think the compiler API warrants its own event listening interface.
Sure, the compiler outputs info warning and error messages, but these
are from the compiler and not the compiler API which also has its info
warning and error (and debug) logging messages. And I think the API has
some richer events - like when it starts processing a certain file, for

Note that we don't use c-l in Maven because Maven's classloader is
shared with the plugins and that was often a problem in Maven 1.x (which
did use c-l and log4j). Now while that doesn't mean the compiler plugin
can't use it via jci, it would be nicer to implement the above jci event
interface and log them using the native Maven logging.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message