commons-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Enyedi <reny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vfs] jcommander [was: Browse the SMB network]
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 08:11:19 GMT
Hi Mario

> Some parts of this library could be standalone, but most of it should be
> > better in VFS:
> >
> ---snip---
>
> Sure, I see what you mean.
> I have to admit I am a little bit afraid about all this native stuff.

I myself am afraid of native code. The healthiest would be to have the
required native code included and maintained from inside the JDK but I
suppose that's not going to happen. That's why I see all native code going
into an optional VFS package.

I'd say, lets go to 1.1 - there are some bugs/todos before starting new
> ideas.
> e.g. one of it is a progress/cancellation api
> (I guess you might be happy to see as I have seen you tried hard to
> implement such stuff for jcommander)

Yes, we had a basic requirement for displaying operations progress and allow
interruptions (pause and cancellation). If you think we could donate the
code we already have to VFS as a starting point in the development of this
feature.

If the user base gets larger - and I hope the developer base too, we
> might hire someone to maintain at least the windows part too :-)

I think we can collaborate with JDIC project because they have native
development expertise on Windows and I think that on MacOS X too.

Regards,
Robert