commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all][POLL] what files to fixcrlf for windows distributions
Date Sun, 27 Nov 2005 12:32:45 GMT
> On 11/15/05, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> > Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> > > [X] .txt
> > > [ ] .java
> > > [ ] .properties
> > > [ ] .xml
> > > [ ] .css
> >  > [ ] .mf
> >
> > My preference is for all ASCII files not in the src/java or src/text
> > folders to be converted. Note that I doubt [collections] or [io] do this
> > fully yet.
> >
> > Stephen
>
> I am working on a patch to the maven dist plugin that makes the crlf
> filter property configurable.   Arnaud pointed out in another thread
> that there should probably a similar filter applied to make sure "lf"
> line endings are used in the tar.gz distros.  My inclination is to
> apply this to *all* files in the tar.gz distros by default.  It occurs

Won't this cause corruption of .jar, .class, .jpg, etc files?

> to me now that because of the "eol=native" svn props, RMs who cut
> releases on Windows are likely making tars with crlf line endings
> (since svn will convert files to crlf on checkout). Note that this
> applies to ant as well as maven-built distros.

And RMs who use Unix will be creating zips with LF line endings...

[Are there any who use Macs?]

> I will make the unix filter configurable as well, but want feedback on
> what the default should be, as well as what our policy should be in
> commons on line endings in tar.gz as well as zip distros.

Ideally the default would depend on the svn:eol-type.
i.e. if svn:eol-type=native, then convert the file for the appropriate
native format, otherwise leave alone.
Dunno whether this can be made to work or not, though.

It's possible that a particular file type may have different endings
for different files.
For example on JMeter, the old JMX files were CRLF on Windows, but the
new JMX files are LF on all OSes.

This all assumes that tar.gz is for Unix and .zip for Windows users -
not unreasonable, but should probably be documented somewhere (perhaps
it is ?).