commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] New commons proper component - collections-functors
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:04:01 GMT
--- Thomas Dudziak <tomdzk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/29/05, Stephen Colebourne
> <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> > TransformerUtils -> [collection-functors]
> > PredicateUtils -> [collection-functors]
> > ClosureUtils -> [collection-functors]
> > FactoryUtils -> [collection-functors]
> >
> > Transformer -> [collections]
> > Predicate -> [collections]
> > Closure -> [collections]
> > Factory -> [collections]
>
> If the functors (and you should choose a new name,
> its much too close
> to commons-functor)
The new component is [collection-functors], so there
should be no confusion.

> If the functors are so closely tied to
> commons-collections, why
> don't you distribute the commons-collections lib in
> two variants ? One
> could contain only the core functionality, say
> commons-collections-core.jar, and the other the
> complete collections
> lib, say commons-collections-full.jar.
> Do you expect the new component to have a higher
> release cycle than
> commons-collections itself ? If not, than IMHO that
> would not justify
> a new commons component.

I do expect different release cycles going forward.
There is only a small tie between the two bits of code
(4 interfaces).

What we are arguing is that delivering two jars within
one project actually *hides* what is really going on,
which is two separately released codebases. This
clarifies the end result by making truly independent
projects.

Stephen