commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <>
Subject [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "VfsNext" by MarioIvankovits
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:45:52 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by MarioIvankovits:

  We should stay in state 2. until one sends a signal to finish with the archive.
- == 12. Eclipse enabled VFS JARs ==
- The problem: Currently extending VFS with new file system providers cannot be done in an
elegant manner. Special code needs to be written to register new file systems for new schemas.
- A possible solution: The VFS project could make use of the powerful plugin mechanism available
in Eclipse (actually they are migrating towards the OSGi plugin model).
- The whole idea would be to be able to extends VFS with new file system providers using the
Eclipse plugin model (with extensions to VFS extension points). The standard file system manager
could be extended: if the Eclipse runtime is detected to be running then it could use the
Eclipse runtime's mechanisms to identify extensions to the VFS extension points. If the Eclipse
runtime is not running it could fall back to the existing provider initialization found in
- In the JCommander project we had a file system abstraction layer that worked this way and
we found it very easy and elegant to provide additional file system implementation. Actually
now that we have moved over to VFS we will implement this functionality. When this implementation
will be provided then it could be analyzed if it is suited to the base VFS distribution.
- Having these would make it much easier for third parties to extend VFS.
  == new filesystems ==
@@ -104, +93 @@

+ == wishes ==
+ The best change to get those added is by contribute them ;-)
+ === Eclipse enabled VFS JARs ===
+ In addition to the current plugin model, use the OSGi plugin model to allow configuration
of e.g. additional filesystem providers.
+ (Sorry Robert for shortening your text that much)
+ ----
  == non confimed ==
  (add your wishes here)

To unsubscribe, e-mail: