commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [proxy] ProxyFactory is now a class!
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:44:06 GMT
On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 14:44 -0500, James Carman wrote:
> Per the suggestions from the group, I changed ProxyFactory to be a concrete
> class rather than an interface (I don't like it, but it will be easier to
> change in the future).  Now, ProxyFactory is essentially the
> reflection-based implementation of the old interface.  Subclasses will
> override the methods to provide more efficient proxies (like the CGLIB and
> Javassist ones do).

interesting :)

this will allow for future expansion without breaking binary or semantic
compatibility. so, that's sorted...

it might be a good idea to add some more commentary about this decision
to the class (to avoid discussions later).

> Anyway, aside from changing the proposal a bit, I think
> that was the last thing on my list for things I needed to do before proxy
> could be ready for a release candidate.  Can a few of you more seasoned open
> source gurus take a look at the new API and let me know if that will work
> better?

unfortunately, only time will tell whether it'll work better. i can only
tell you about the mistakes we've made in the past...

once you've tuned the proposal a little, i'd say that you're about ready
for a promotion vote :)

- robert