commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject RE: [collections] any objections?
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:40:51 GMT
Do you think that the aforementioned "wrapper" classes (TimeoutBuffer and
BoundedBuffer) are candidates for inclusion in the release?

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Colebourne [mailto:scolebourne@btopenworld.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2005 7:19 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: Re: [collections] any objections?

robert burrell donkin wrote:
>>The removeIndex is the index of the hash bucket, not the hash code. This
>>bit of code is simply trying to find the entry before that we want to
>>remove, where we already know the entry we want to remove.
>
> got that bit but missed the use of header to store order links to
> entries. header is the start of a circular buffer used to store the
> entries in order, right?
The header is the start of a linked list which maintains the LRU order.
This runs separately to the bucket's next field.

>>None of this
>>requires us to check using equals().
>

> true that wasn't the path i was travelling down. i was wondering whether
> the bucket could ever be null (thus producing a NPE) but it can't be if
> there is an entry is still in the map. doesn't seem to be any easy way
> that it could happen given appropriate synchronisation. the other
> candidate is for loop to become null but this shouldn't happen, should
> it?
No, there seems to be no way to get this

> is it time to take seriously the possibility of a bug in synchronisation
> being an explanation?
I've added a comment to bugzilla.

I think we should give this another couple of weeks and then release
with my additional semi-debugging statements. There is too much other
stuff that needs releasing, and collections is way way overdue.

Stephen