commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject RE: [collections] [functor] Split functors from collections
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:48:12 GMT
What about the existing Commons Functor library?  Collections should really
use those as opposed to defining its own.  I realize that Commons Functor
came about after Collections, but if we're going to start splitting stuff
out, maybe we should revive functor for this stuff and maybe start migrating
towards the Commons Functor interfaces.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Colebourne [mailto:scolebourne@btopenworld.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 24, 2005 4:53 PM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: [collections] [functor] Split functors from collections

Commons collections is a large jar file. Some users have issue with
that. Those users tend to complain most about the functor part, which is
an area of more religious feeling than the rest of collections.

I want to float the idea therefore of splitting the functors away from
collections. This was done once before with primitives.

Proposal A is to create a new commons proper component [functors] which
contains the functors subpackage and the four functor *Utils classes and
releasing commons-functors.jar. The package name would not change (this
is as per [primitives]). This proposal works because [functors] and
[collections] could easily be on different release schedules.

Proposal B is to just release [collections] as two jars,
commons-collections (no functors) and commons-collections-functor.

Thoughts?

Stephen