commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] can RealMatrixImpl.getDataRef() be added to interface RealMatrix
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2005 04:09:13 GMT
This would be an incompatible change and for commons components, we do
not like to break binary compatibility at all if we can avoid it, and
when we absolutely have to, we do it in a major release, which for
[math] would mean 2.0.

I would not support adding this method directly to the RealMatrix
interface in any case though, since it exposes the internals (I know,
this is necessary for speed for some applications, which is why
RealMatrixImpl has it) and forces the backing store to be a double[][]
array.  Interfaces should not expose implementation internals (which
is why RealMatrix omits it). We have discussed this before.

Phil