commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Math] SingularValueDecomposition test case
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 02:52:21 GMT
Other than published examples or examples worked by hand, one thing
that I have found useful is to compute target values using R (which I
think does SVD), mathematica or other packages.  That is obviously not
infallible, but often brings bugs to the surface.  Sometimes you can
also use known analytical properties of the result to validate it
(like what Al is suggesting).  I haven't looked at SVD in a while, but
there are likely other things that can be done there as well.  Also,
it is good to include examples that are known to be numerically
challenging, ideally ones with analytical solutions that you know in
advance.  Sorry, but I don't have any of this at the ready for SVD.
Poke about in the numerical linear algebra literature and you will
likely find some good examples and boundary cases.

Thanks for working on this.

Phil