commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [proxy] Moving Proxy to Commons Proper
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:08:25 GMT
James Carman wrote:
> Thank you for your feedback (finally somebody said *something*).  I made
> this a vote based on the instructions found at
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/MovingFromSandboxToProperSVN.  Maybe
> we should update that WIKI to suggest making a proposal first and then
> starting a vote if there are no objections.  I really just wanted to know if
> there were any technical objections to having proxy move into the commons
> proper so that I could fix the problems.  I would really like to see this
> become a full-fledged commons component.  I think it's a very useful idea
> and a pretty intuitive API.

I took a look this morning, and also thought it could be quite useful,
and I could follow reasonably well what was going on.

Technically, I remember a couple of oddities, although there may be more:
- the Logging interceptor used Javassist, an odd dependency
- the core ProxyFactory interface could limit you in the future, as you
can't change released interfaces

The more fundamental question however, is whether this is a true commons
component. The sheer number of dependencies is a real question. Now
while a lot are probably optional, some will not be.

This component looks rather like a framework to me, although a very low
level framework. Commons does have other components that have interfaces
and plugin points, but doesn't this one go further than we've had
before? Will most users have to write their own code implementing an
interface defining in [proxy], or can they just used the existing
implementations?

Stephen