commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [configuration] Checkstyle
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 15:09:25 GMT
Oliver Heger wrote:
> I am having some fun fixing the numerous Checkstyle warnings.
>
> One warning that is displayed very often is "Missing a Javadoc comment".
> For Javadoc itself this is not much of a problem because the tool knows
> how to inherit the comments from super classes or implemented
> interfaces. But Checkstyle wants an explicit comment (the @inheritDoc
> tag is not recognized either).
>
> Personally I prefer to have Javadocs for all methods. This makes the
> code more readable. But it would be a bunch of work to fix this now.
>
> Other opinions? How is this handled by other components?

I would not bother with these warnings, duplicating the javadoc in the
subclasses is a pain to maintain and brings no benefit on code
readability. With modern IDEs the description on the parent method is
just one click away. I did put the @inheritDoc tags some time ago, but I
don't think that was really a better choice.

IMHO I would just drop these javadocs.

Emmanuel Bourg