commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <dennis.lundb...@mdh.se>
Subject Re: [logging] log4j 1.3 support
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:36:01 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 23:16 +0200, Joerg Hohwiller wrote:
>

>>Does this mean that commons-logging 1.0.5 will not be released before
>>log4j 1.3.0 is released and published at ibiblio?
>

> No, commons-logging is not dependent on the log4j release cycle.
>
> However I have no idea when the next commons-logging release will be.
> Commons-logging was dormant for quite a while; it then went through a
> burst of work in the middle of 2005 as Robert Donkin, Brian Stansberry
> and myself all got stuck in together. But unfortunately commons-logging
> is a *very* complicated beast, and fixing its current problems are not
> easy. And after a couple of months' work we all ran out of time to work
> on it. So it's gone dormant again.
>
> The "1.0.5" tag represents work that really should be abandoned in my
> opinion. The changes applied there just mask some of the problems rather
> than actually fixing them. In the branches directory you will find a
> number of more radical experiments at fixing commons-logging but none of
> them are near to "release candidate" level.

How about this:
- We start with the 1.0.4 codebase.
- Add the Trace *function* detection for log4j 1.2.12, mentioned by
Simon in the other e-mail.
- Release jcl 1.0.6 with log4j-trace support.

This solution does not fix the other pending problems with jcl, but it
would allow for the current jcl-1.0.4/log4j-1.2.x user base to start
using the trace level. All they need to do is upgrade to jcl 1.0.6 and
log4j 1.2.12.

> So sorry for the lack of a plan, but at the moment there is no roadmap
> for commons-logging, and no active developers. It's not a great
> situation for such a core library but that's the way it is.
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

Dennis Lundberg