commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Jakarta-commons Wiki] Update of "Pool" by sandymac
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 20:29:27 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by sandymac:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Pool

   ||Add your questions/answers here.||

- If I have multiple threads calling into my method which contains the borrowObject call,
+ Q: If I have multiple threads calling into my method which contains the borrowObject call,
  do I have to synchronize around this, or are borrowObject and returnObject thread safe?

- What is the general purpose of pooling Interfaces ?
+ A: They appear to be thread safe. I haven't extensively studied the source the relevant
code is synchronized.

+
+ Q: What is the general purpose of pooling Interfaces ?
+
- ''You don't pool interfaces but objects implementing the interfaces.
+ A: ''You don't pool interfaces but objects implementing the interfaces.
  An object pool is used to reduce the cost of creating/destroying the pooled object (memory,CPU
and other resources).
  Commons-Pool provides several general purpose implementations of different pooling strategies.

  See also [http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/pool/guide/index.html developers guide].