commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [pool] synchronization issues in Pool
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2005 20:05:59 GMT
On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 17:42 -0400, Sandy McArthur wrote:
> On 10/24/05, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > unless some one beats me to it, once the patch is available i'll add
> > myself to the dev list and review (as time permits).
>
> Patches submitted.

committed. many thanks :)

> > > While I'm at it would it be desirable to transition to the privately
> > > head lock idiom
> > it might (however) stop a user doing something equivalent through
> > carelessness or naivity. so probably worth doing. would need to add a
> > note to the documentation since this would change the semantics.
> > opinions?
>
> I have a number of pending patches: http://tinyurl.com/cauwd that I'd
> like to see commited or rejected as I'm starting to feel no one cares
> about them and it's becoming a pain to maintain my own patched pool
> version.

most of the committers listed in the project.xml aren't that active in
the commons any more :-/

re: 33264, 36719, 36904, 37153

these all suffer from issues with backward compatibility. i'd like to
have a little think and then move the discussion to a new thread.

> After that I'd be willing to implement the transition to the
> private lock idiom.

as sebb noted, this needs a little more consideration. i'd like to move
it to a new thread.

- robert