commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <>
Subject Re: [pool] synchronization issues in Pool
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:18:09 GMT
On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 14:32 -0400, Sandy McArthur wrote:
> On 10/23/05, robert burrell donkin <> wrote:
> > are there any pool developers out there with time to pick this up?
> >
> > otherwise, we could probably do with a volunteer to go through and
> > analyse these issues. anyone fancy taking a crack at this?
> I'm not a pool dev but I'll make some time to implement fixes for the
> problems Mayur Naik found and submit patches.

(in case you don't know the drill you might find some useful stuff in, and please create a bugzilla
for the patchs)

unless some one beats me to it, once the patch is available i'll add
myself to the dev list and review (as time permits).

> While I'm at it would it be desirable to transition to the privately
> head lock idiom to defend against intentionally malicious code? eg to
> defend against:
> synchronized (aPool) {
>  Thread.sleep(Integer.Max_Value);
> }
> by making anything that synchronized on this synchronize on a private field.

i'm not too bothered about (that kind of) malicious code: there are too
many ways the user of a library could subvert it.

it might (however) stop a user doing something equivalent through
carelessness or naivity. so probably worth doing. would need to add a
note to the documentation since this would change the semantics.

- robert

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message