commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [proxy] Moving to Proper...
Date Sat, 15 Oct 2005 10:19:57 GMT
On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 09:33 -0400, James Carman wrote:
> The Crispy (http://crispy.sourceforge.net) project has expressed interest in
> using Commons Proxy (and my Syringe project already uses it).  However, it's
> difficult for outside projects to use Commons Proxy if there are no releases
> available on Ibiblio.  What are the procedures/requirements for requesting
> that a sandbox project be moved to the commons proper?

there aren't too many formal requirements. the component needs to meet
the requirements of the charter (needs to be in scope and have the
relevant bits and bats of documentation.)

but there are social conventions. some digging the archives will reveal
people's perspectives on this.

speaking personally:

IMHO a component needs to be ready for release: even if only a 0.x
(feature incomplete and API possible unstable). we're learnt (from
mistakes in the past) that it's important for components to have proper
releases and it's easy for this to slip.

IMHO component needs to have a viable community. the community needs to
be persuaded that there enough users and developers to ensure the
component can be self-sustaining. in recent time, i think we've become a
little better at recognising that the size of the community required
depends on the size and maturity of the component.

> I realize that my
> reliance on JDK5 features may be somewhat of a hindrance since our nightly
> build process only supports JDK1.4 and below from what I understand.  Is
> this something that we're going to fix or do all of our projects have to use
> at most JDK1.4?  Any advice is welcome.

some time soon now jakarta will have a shiny new virtual server to run
stuff like these builds but ATM craig runs these for us (thanks) and so
he'd need to answer this...

- robert