commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject RE: [beautils] incompatibility between 1.6.1 and 1.7.0 ?
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:41:37 GMT
On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 00:56 +0200, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:
> Hi Dion,
>
> Not yet and I think that's the problem ;-)
> You confirm me in my idea !
> I'll try to test it.
> But if beanutils kept the same API (with only some add-ons), I couldn't have a ClassCastException
?

it is possible for the release to be binary compatible but that some
change has broken semantic compatibility. looking at the trace:

> > >      [exec] Method invocation failed.
> > >      [exec] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
> > java.lang.ClassCastException@1e5ebbf
> > >      [exec]     at
> > sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor57.invoke(Unknown Source)
> > >      [exec]     at
> > sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMeth
> > odAccessorImpl.java:25)
> > >      [exec]     at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
> > >      [exec]     at
> > org.apache.commons.beanutils.PropertyUtilsBean.invokeMethod(Pr
> > opertyUtilsBean.java:1773)

it looks like the class cast is happening in the Method.invoke. i
suspect that the reflection code is throwing an IllegalArgumentException
because a class cast fails for one of parameters.

- robert