commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [logging] new release?
Date Sun, 09 Oct 2005 10:00:36 GMT
On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 22:16 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A week or so ago I was prompted by new activity on the logging topic to
> review what is currently sitting in SVN. I think it's actually quite
> good, and perhaps we could try to push for a release.
>
> The issues I'm aware of are:

> * There's a proposal to add a system property to disable all TCCL use.
>   It's worth considering.

sounds reasonable to me but would need documenting since switching this
off in certain container configurations would likely have unfortunate
consequences...

<snip>

> * We still don't handle "cross-application" calls. Apparently by using
>   JCA or similar one component can get a reference to an object in
>   another container and make a call to it. In that case, there is
>   absolutely no way the existing code can load a log adapter class from
>   the contextClassLoader and cast it to a Log implementation.

i'm not sure i'm up to speed on this one. sounds a little dubious to me
but i'd need to study the details carefully. could you provide more
information or a link to a bug report?

>   Currently, we walk the classloader ancestry chain looking for which
>   loader is a child of which, and find they aren't related so panic.
>   Perhaps we could just fall back to using diagnostic logging to output
>   a message, then assign a NoOp logger?

sounds like a reasonable approach. i do wonder whether this has more to
do with use practices, though. if so, then we'd need to document and add
a recommendation...

- robert