commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject [digester] Re: Classloading regression between commons-digester-1.0 and later versions
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2005 18:11:38 GMT
hi jan

please remember to add the subject prefix for the component.

On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 13:57 -0700, Jan Luehe wrote:
> This may be an old topic, but it seems a classloading regression was
> introduced between commons-digester-1.0 and later versions (including
> the most recent).

this is indeed a very old topic :)

<snip>

> Can someone explain to me the motivation for setting the
> "useContextClassLoader" property to FALSE by default?

i can offer you nothing more than the logs: it is set to FALSE by
default for no very good reason but most likely since it was felt
(rightly or wrongly) to preserve backwards compatibility.

> We can easily restore the commons-digester-1.0 behaviour in our own
> code by setting "useContextClassLoader" to TRUE on the Digester
> instances we acquire. However, this is not possible on "foreign" code
> that we bundle.
>
> It would be useful if Digester.getClassLoader() would also consider a
> system property (in addition to its own "useContextClassLoader"
> property) when determining whether to use the context classloader.

+1

can anyone think of any reasons not to add this?

> Any comments appreciated.

submit a patch :)

- robert