commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <skitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] log4j 1.3 support
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2005 03:06:43 GMT
On Wed, 2005-09-28 at 23:16 +0200, Joerg Hohwiller wrote:

> Does this mean that commons-logging 1.0.5 will not be released before
> log4j 1.3.0 is released and published at ibiblio?

No, commons-logging is not dependent on the log4j release cycle.

However I have no idea when the next commons-logging release will be.
Commons-logging was dormant for quite a while; it then went through a
burst of work in the middle of 2005 as Robert Donkin, Brian Stansberry
and myself all got stuck in together. But unfortunately commons-logging
is a *very* complicated beast, and fixing its current problems are not
easy. And after a couple of months' work we all ran out of time to work
on it. So it's gone dormant again.

The "1.0.5" tag represents work that really should be abandoned in my
opinion. The changes applied there just mask some of the problems rather
than actually fixing them. In the branches directory you will find a
number of more radical experiments at fixing commons-logging but none of
them are near to "release candidate" level.

So sorry for the lack of a plan, but at the moment there is no roadmap
for commons-logging, and no active developers. It's not a great
situation for such a core library but that's the way it is.

Regards,

Simon