commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject RE: [commons general] Graph ADT Library?
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:53:17 GMT
If you don't mind paying money for a good library, I can recommend yFiles
(http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yfiles_about.htm).  We use it on my
current project and it has been very helpful.  It can be somewhat costly,
especially if you can't get the academic license.

-----Original Message-----
From: Hernan Silberman [mailto:hsilberm@pdi.com]
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 2:43 PM
To: commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: [commons general] Graph ADT Library?

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good set of Java classes for
representing Graph abstract data types.  Specifically, I'm dealing with a
homegrown representation of a directed acyclic digraph (DAG) and find it
very
lacking.  I've read a little about jakarta commons graph and graph2 and
assume
they're no longer active projects (and they're not in the sandbox).

After Googling around, I've found the following projects:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gvf/
* Looks great, seems mature.  I don't need to solve the graph visualization
problem which this toolkit seems to do well, and it feels like a
sledgehammer
for my basic needs.
* GPL license, open source.

https://jdigraph.dev.java.net/
* Looks like a great start, in alpha release.  Zero email on the lists
though
which worries me.
* BSD license, open source.
* Source uses Java 1.5 generics, I'm not there yet.

Graph data structures are such a common problem solving tool in engineering
that I'm sure I've missed other good projects.  I'm hoping to cut down my
search
time by asking for your experiences with other toolkits I may be ignorant
about.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks...
Hernan