commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] Location utilities
Date Sun, 18 Sep 2005 20:26:52 GMT
James Carman wrote:

>Sylvain,
>
>I like the idea.  I think the line-precise error reporting feature in
>Tapestry/HiveMind is very helpful and other projects could benefit from it.
>However, I would seriously doubt that we could get either project (Howard,
>correct me if I'm wrong) to migrate over to using it because of the
>reluctance to introduce another dependency.

Rather than another dependency, the biggest problem for projects that
already have such a feature exposed to users would be the code migration
leading to some compatibility problems (although some adapters can be
used to ease the transition).

>This fear of "jar hell" (we
>really need to come up with a formal name for that phobia) seems to limit
>inter-project dependencies a lot here at Apache.  I doubt I'll ever even get
>HiveMind to switch over to using commons-proxy as a core dependency, even
>though I think it would make it tremendously more developer-friendly and
>extensible.

Strange. Adding a dependency on a commons-* looks like something easy to
me exactly because it is a commons, meaning code that emerged from
people wanting to avoid reinventing the wheel.

>Just because we don't "eat our own dog food" doesn't mean that others might
>not like a taste (my dogs seem to eat each others food almost exclusively)!
>:-)  Has this code been developed entirely inside the Cocoon source
>repository here at ASF (it has not "lived" anywhere else)?

No IP problems of any kind, as I wrote this for Cocoon back in July.
It's fairly new, but already started spreading all over in Cocoon :-)

>If so, then it
>shouldn't be too tough to get a commons-sandbox project started for this (no
>software grant would be necessary from what I understand).  You have my +1
>for starting a project in the sandbox for this code (not that I think it's
>needed, but I just like to vote on random things).  I don't see any harm in
>it.  If it never makes it out of the sandbox due to lack of community
>interest, so be it.   If cocoon wants to migrate to using it, then that
>would make it all the more likely that it would make it out of the sandbox,
>though.

Well, Cocoon will of course be the first user of this package!

Sylvain