commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <>
Subject Re: [proposal] Location utilities
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:45:02 GMT
James Carman wrote:

>Tapestry and HiveMind don't always use exceptions to print the line-precise error messages.
 Sometimes, it's just an error/warning message sent to a Log (JCL) (you forgot to include
an implementation for a service point in HiveMind).  Does your Cocoon code support that also
or is it more exception-oriented? I would assume that since the classes on the stack are able
to determine their location information that they could just print it out as a logging message.

Exactly! Actually, the location package provides nothing special
regarding logging, but doesn't prevent it :-)

Locatable objects provide their location to exceptions they throw to
allow for located stacktrace, and they of course can append their
location to messages they log. The LocationUtils.toString() method
provides a uniform string representation, whatever the actual
implementation of Location is.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message