commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 10:59:58 GMT
Dion Gillard <dion.gillard@gmail.com> writes:

>I'd much rather we build the release with jdk 1.3.

>There are 1.4 specific methods, e.g. in StringBuffer that mean that
>code compiled on 1.4 wont necessarily run on 1.3

I thought that the -source and -target switches of javac were intended
to deal with these problems. Were they not?

Anyway, I just tried the 1.3.1 JDK. The jar builds, the tests fail due
to the fact that dumbster is compiled for 1.4 and my toolchain for
rebuilding that (ant and everything) simply does not run on 1.3.1 any
longer. So if anyone has a 1.3 compiled dumbster.jar for me, I'll try
again.

The 1.3.1 built jar passes the tests when running the test cases under
the 1.4.2 runtime. You can get this jar from
people.apache.org/~henning/commons-email-1.0-rc7.jar for
testing. Personally I'd consider this "good enough".

As a side note: 1.3 is in EOL process at Sun. At what point do we
consider compatibility to 1.3 no longer necessary?

	Regards
		Henning

>On 9/2/05, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <hps@intermeta.de> wrote:
>> Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> writes:
>>
>> >c) The jar file is built on JDK1.4. Is that your target JDK version? If
>> >your target is lower, then compiling using JDK1.4 can cause issues when
>> >running with earlier versions. This discussion has occurred before in
>> >the archives. The chances are that in a component like this, you won't
>> >be affected, but the risk is present. This point is -0.
>>
>> It is built with (in project.properties):
>>
>> maven.compile.source=1.3
>> maven.compile.target=1.3
>>
>> so that shouldn't be a problem IMHO. (Eric and I did our tests on the
>> 1.4.2 runtime, though). Thanks for pointing this out, if you advise to
>> build the release using the 1.3.1 JDK, I will consider looking into
>> this.
>>
>>         Regards
>>                 Henning
>> --
>> Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen          INTERMETA GmbH
>> hps@intermeta.de        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/
>>
>> RedHat Certified Engineer -- Jakarta Turbine Development  -- hero for hire
>>    Linux, Java, perl, Solaris -- Consulting, Training, Development
>>
>>                       4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

>--
>http://www.multitask.com.au/people/dion/
>"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your
>reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George
>Bernard Shaw

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42