commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [proxy] Commons-Lang Dependency...
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2005 00:52:51 GMT
On 9/8/05, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the advice, guys!  I copied the getAllInterfaces() method over
> to my ProxyUtils class and documented that I "borrowed" it from Jakarta
> Commons Lang.  Then, I removed my dependency on Jakarta Commons Logging,
> because all I was doing was printing out informational messages for
> debugging purposes.
<snip/>

I'm sure you gave enough thought before removing the JCL bits, but my
2c -- the larger the black boxes of magic, the more chances are that
users will be bitten by the absence of logging. If proxy is broad and
shallow (Stephen's term from another thread), you can probably get
away with it.

Just saw this in r279571:

<snap/>
-      getLog().error( "Method invocation threw an exception.", t );
+      // What to do here?  I can't convey the failure back to the caller.
<snip/>

which prompted me to participate here. For completion, I have no
understanding (yet) of that piece of code, but this remark is meant to
transcend that ;-)

-Rahul