commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject [SCXML] Suitability as a Commons project (Was: Moving to commons proper)
Date Wed, 07 Sep 2005 22:02:29 GMT
As I return from big sky country, I see this probably warrants its own thread -

On 9/4/05, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
<snip/>
> I also have concerns about SCXML (its an xml
> spec, not a library).
<snap/>

I think its important to draw a distinction here. The SCXML
specification is within the realm of the W3C (its currently a Working
Draft), not Jakarta Commons. Commons SCXML is one possible
implementation of an SCXML engine, and will track the spec as it
evolves.

I'd say its very much a library, since the use cases for an SCXML
engine are multiple and varied. Anything that can be represented as a
UML state chart -- business process flows, view navigation bits,
interaction or dialog management, and many more -- can leverage an
existing SCXML engine library, which is what prompted the SCXML code
to move from the RDC Taglib to Commons Sandbox in the first place.

We already have one concrete use case within the RDC framework, its on
my to-do list to attempt to showcase some possibly interesting usages
within other frameworks in the near to intermediate future.

On 9/4/05, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
<snip/>
> SCXML sounds a bit suspect, too.  It should also probably be a top-level
> Jakarta project.
<snap/>

That is too ambitious for its current incarnation. Time will tell if
it deserves that kind of attention.

-Rahul