commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0
Date Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:04:51 GMT
Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote on Friday, September 02, 2005 1:00 PM:

> Dion Gillard <dion.gillard@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'd much rather we build the release with jdk 1.3.
>
>> There are 1.4 specific methods, e.g. in StringBuffer that mean that
>> code compiled on 1.4 wont necessarily run on 1.3
>
> I thought that the -source and -target switches of javac were
> intended to deal with these problems. Were they not?

Only if you tell the compiler to use also the rt.jar from the target JDK. Otherwise the compiler
might chose a better fitting overloaded method, that was not available in the previous version.
You can tell this Maven/Ant with a property, but this implies a known location of the proper
rt.jar in the build environment.

- Jörg