commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Complex equals
Date Sun, 18 Sep 2005 04:33:04 GMT
After lots of searching, I finally located a copy of Annex G on the web here
http://dev.unicals.com/papers/c99-draft.html#G.1

There is no mention of equals, as this is a C language spec and what is
being defined is a Complex C type and specs for arithmetic operations. There
is vague wording to the effect that "infinities" should be identified, even
when a part is NaN (G4.1#4), so the implication is that the equivalence
classes would be

An equivalence class for each x + iy where x, y are (finite) real numbers
once class for all values that have one or more infinite parts
one class for all values that have NaN parts, but no infinite parts

I am not sure this setup would be consistent with the way we have defined
the arithmetic operations, which do I don't think conform fully to the rest
of the spec.

I would appreciate it if other [math] contributors would review the spec and
weigh in on both the implementation of equals and whether we should modify
the arithmetic function to conform fully to the spec.

Phil