commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [commons-build] Site build problem
Date Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:34:51 GMT
On 9/11/05, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> From: "Brett Porter" <brett@apache.org>
> > Phil Steitz wrote:
> >
> > >Given the current setup above, unless I am missing something, all of
> the
> > >maven.xml's would have to be modified to check, I guess this is
> possible.
> > >

> > Fair enough - I thought all the projects extended
> > commons-build/project.xml (and hence used it's maven.xml).
>
> I did a quick scan and only "attributes" and "chain" extend the
> commons-build/project.xml - but maybe all commons components should?

That used to be the setup, and lots of people complained, since it meant
that even to just build/jar the components, you had to have commons-build
checked out, among other things. Of course, the web sites now depend on the
commons-site.jsl, style sheets and nav elements, so you effectively have to
have it checked out to do site gens, so it is worth considering going back
to extending.

If they did - isn't the simplest solution to add a plugin dependency

> commons-build/project.xml?
>
> <dependency>
> <groupId>maven</groupId>
> <artifactId>maven-xdoc-plugin</artifactId>
> <version>1.9.2</version>
> <url>http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/xdoc</url>
> <type>plugin</type>
> </dependency>
>
> I tried this with validator and it worked fine, downloading the 1.9.2 xdoc
> version and running.
>
> Niall

Yes, that would work for the current problem, but I am not sure all would be
happy about going back to all extending the commons-build POM. Thoughts?

Phil