commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [fileupload] Remove commons-io dependency
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:15:07 GMT
Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> I am not a [fileupload] maintainer, so cannot -1 or force this issue.
> All I can do is try to persuade the actual maintainers that this
> dependency is not in your users best interests.

BTW, here is yet another blogger on the pain of dependencies:

"Compare Jason Hunter's excellent COS package which provides file upload
capabilities as well as several other servlet utilities with zero
dependencies, to the Jakarta Commons File Upload which also requires
Commons Logging, Commons IO, Commons BeanUtils and Commons Digester."

http://jroller.com/page/tfenne?entry=framework_and_library_usability

(Note, this actually isn't true anymore of all except IO, yet the
perception is out there damaging commons...)

Stephen