commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Colebourne <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Email 1.0
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 23:23:22 GMT
Eric Pugh wrote:
> --8<-----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> [ ] +1 Release Email 1.0
> [ ] +0 General support but not definitive
> [X] -0 Unhappy about the release but not definitive
> [ ] -1 Do not release Email 1.0

-1

a) The dependency on [lang] is exposed in the public API of [email],
thus you can never remove the dependency in the future. The problem is
in EmailException which extends NestableException. This exposure can be
removed by following the design pattern of FunctorException in
[collections]. Leaving the dependency visible will seriously compromise
[email] in the future.

b) The dependency on [lang] is excessive for such a small component. I
recognise that there are differing views on this so I will leave this
point as a -0, but see point (a). However, in my opinion, the [lang]
dependency should be removed before v1.0 with the creation of a package
scoped util class with the four required methods from [lang].

c) The jar file is built on JDK1.4. Is that your target JDK version? If
your target is lower, then compiling using JDK1.4 can cause issues when
running with earlier versions. This discussion has occurred before in
the archives. The chances are that in a component like this, you won't
be affected, but the risk is present. This point is -0.

Stephen