commons-dev mailing list archives

From Trygve Laugstøl <tryg...@codehaus.org>
Subject Re: [exec] use of commons-logging
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:39:26 GMT
On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 10:36 +0700, Kev Jackson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking at the use of commons logging in exec.  Coming from
> ant dev, it would be nice to refactor ant to use the commons-exec
> package, but Ant has it's own logging mechanism (using logging
> listeners), and I'm pretty sure that the ant code base will not change
> to using commons-logging throughout except as the listener, and as far
> as I'm aware the ant team want to keep the ant bootstrap as minimal as
> possible (require nothing but an xml parser and a jdk). [1]
>
> There's also the problem of the minimum version of Java supported by
> commons-exec, though this looks like it will be less of a problem.

I'm concerned about this issue too and have been looking into ways to
automate the testing to make sure that we're not using any JDK1.3+ API
parts. Do you have any good ideas? Brett mentioned clirr and jdiff so
I'll look into those later, jdiff already has a Maven 2 report and it
shouldn't be hard to make a similar clirr report. Although these are
both manual tests and I'd like to be able to automate this.

[1]: http://clirr.sourceforge.net/
[2]: http://jdiff.sourceforge.net/

--
Trygve