commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Coyle" <aco...@f2s.com>
Subject [configuration] Locale aware configuration
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2005 20:26:44 GMT
Hi there,

Some months ago there was a discussion regarding a decorator for a
configuration, 'ConfigurationLocaleAware', that would provide a locale
sensitive API to get properties. At that time a reference was made to the
'Scarab' project to show how it might be implemented. I'm interested in
creating such a decorator, but I couldn't find much Scarab information to
see how it was tackled there.

Any pointers? I've had a stab at a design, but currently I can't find a way
to avoid using 'instanceof' to find out the type of configuration my
decorator is wrapping, e.g. AbstractFileConfiguration,
DatabaseConfiguration, JNDIConfiguration. This is necessary to create a new
configuration based on the wrapped one, with a 'suffix' for locale sensitive
lookups. This approach doesn't cater for a CompositeConfiguration either -
the only way I can see to do that is provide a locale aware implementation
of a composite configuration.

Thanks

Alex.