commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Gustavsson <nik...@protocol7.com>
Subject Re: [exec] Design of commons-exec
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2005 23:18:08 GMT
Hi Jerome

Thanks for a lot of really good feedback and ideas! I will come back to
some of the other stuff later on, but first I think we need to discuss
on of the points you bring up:

jerome lacoste wrote:
>     * run on the oldest SDK possible

I think there are three ways to go:
1. Full support for 1.1+
2. Limited support for 1.1-1.2, full support for 1.3+
3. No support for 1.1-1.2, full support 1.3+

Runtime.exec(String[] cmd, String[] env, File workingDir) was added in
1.3. A lot of the Ant trickery going on the the current code is to
handle working directories on older (pre 1.3) JVMs. This include most of
the CommandLaunchers and the shell/Perl scripts.

The middle road would be to only support execution in the current
directory only on 1.1.

So, what do you all think? I'm personally lucky enough to mostly be on
1.3 and 1.4 these days, but I'm fine with either choice here. If you
think we should aim for 1.1, I would prefer option 2 to ease our pains a
little bit. If we make the CommandLaunchers pluggable (and I think we
should), someone who would really need working directory support on 1.1
could potentially write their own CommandLauncher.

/niklas