commons-dev mailing list archives

From rand huso <rch...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] singular and non-square matrix inverse proposal
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:15:59 GMT
I've written a piece of code for working with matrices - oritinal
version was early 1989 in Fortran77. Since I've recently started
working with Java I tried converting some of my useful code (from my
rather large C++ template), but I've run into a snag or two with the
limited generics. The class uses double instead of T, and simple
arrays instead of something like <ArrayList <ArrayList T>> where <T
implements Numeric> or similar. I just couldn't make all that work
yet.

The attached code and JUnit test are self-explanatory. Please have a
look and let me know what you think. Is it worth integrating some of
this into the jakarta-commons math library for others to use? If not,
suggestions would be welcome.

<note>I am still surprised to find any mathematics library that throws
an exception when asked to invert a singular or non-square
matrix.</note>

rand huso