commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [logging] proposal
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 08:29:15 GMT
Hi Simon,

Simon Kitching wrote on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 10:00 AM:

> [AARGH - I hate top-posting!]

me too.

> I'm not opposed to this proposal. Commons-logging already
> creates a proxy Log object for each underlying real logger
> object, so at the worst the name can be remembered at the Log
> object level as far as I can see. In other words, this
> functionality should be possible to implement whatever the underlying
> logging library.
>
> And I'm generally convinced by the emails to this thread that
> all reasonable logging libraries provide a way for logging
> objects to return their name anyway.
>
> I don't personally have any need for this feature, but it
> seems that people with reasonable credentials do.

Fine.

> So overall I'm in favour of some kind of implementation of
> this feature. Commons-logging needs to be *very* careful
> about adding features to its API but this seems to me like
> one that passes the necessary tests.
>
> If you were to create a bugzilla entry with an implementation
> of this feature and supporting unit tests [and assuming
> no-one else votes against it] I will review and commit it
> sometime in the next few weeks.

OK.

> Note, however, that commons-logging isn't making much
> progress at the moment, and several issues standing in the
> way of a new release. So there's no guarantee of when the
> next release might actually be pushed out.

Well, the requests started two years ago, so we have already waited some time. At least I
will be glad if it gets into the next version.

> Regards,
>
> Simon
>
> PS: Two Joerg Schaibles? How confusing!

No, just two Jörgs, but I did not want that somebody assumes, that we try to urge somebody
about this feature using different aliases, just because of the same (first) name.

- Jörg