commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] SoC Commons-Math Status
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 14:14:22 GMT
On 8/9/05, James M Stephenson <jmstephenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was worried about using any code from Numerical Recipies, so I have
> refrained from doing so and am using it as a reference in addition to
> Cantrell's book.  The only thing I am using it for is the bits of theory
> here and there within it, not the algorithms.  I am developing those
> myself.  The NR reference is not being used for the compressed matrix
> class, I am not using anything for that apart from Cantrell's book and
> the Lapack reference manual.  I am not reusing any code or algorithms
> from either book.  I will post my JUnit tests and code this evening for
> review.

Great! There is no problem using the NR theory sections as background,
but as discussed, we need to make sure that we do not implement the
algorithms as described there.  Unless it is clear from the code
documentation, your derivation your own algorithms should also be
documented somewhere (ideally in the user guide).

Thanks,

Phil