commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [javaflow] byte code instrumentation
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 17:40:33 GMT
> I wonder if we can reduce this to just one, namely to Stack.
> Instead of remembering Thread->Continuation association, we can
> remember Thread->Stack association. We then replace
> Continuation.currentContinuation() with Stack.currentStack(), and
> we can also move relevant flags (like restoring/capturing) to a
> Stack object.
>
> This also has a nice side-effect of moving methods like isCapturing/
> isRestoring to a non-API package.

> Today, those methods are defined as public methods of Continuation,
> as a part of the API class, even though they aren't supposed to be
> called by applications.
>
> In this way, we can also make the Continuation truly immutable.
>
> Does this sound reasonable?

Well ...it does sound reasonable - except that
isRestoring/isCapturing feels also a bit awkward
inside the Stack class.
Would have been nice to keep that one clean :-/

But on the other hand a clean Continuation interface
and saving some instructions on the bytecode level
does sound very tempting.

...we could also have a specialized Stack with
those flags extending the basic Stack implementation.

WDYT?

cheers
--
Torsten