commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator WAS: Project Proposal?
Date Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:21:12 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

> Well, AFAIU the incubator is also about establishing a community
> not only about legal safety - so that would apply here as well.
>
> ...but the whole progress might be a bit too much for a little
> library project. That's why the commons sandbox still makes
> sense. It's about smaller components NOT on the project level.

Well, I think the point was that this particular project wasn't a
library project, so not suited for commons.

However, given Noel's email on commons-exec, I think it would be good to
talk about the similarities of the sandbox and the incubator and
determine if both are needed and how they can help each other.

> But maybe it would be worth discussing the whole internally
> sponsored projects idea over at incubator. WDTY?

I'm pretty sure that this can happen, and has happenened before. It is
not always necessary, as the committers may be able to start it under
their current project and later if it grows a community of its own look
for promotion to Jakarta of Apache (such as what Maven did from Turbine,
or Ant from Tomcat).

- Brett