commons-dev mailing list archives

From Kev Jackson <kevin.jack...@it.fts-vn.com>
Subject Re: [exec] Design of commons-exec
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2005 02:04:50 GMT

> This is a very short description of the cleaned up Ant exec task design:
>
> * Exec: the former Ant task class used to create and configure Execute
> instances. Now mainly a convience class for starting new Execute
> instances.
> * Execute: the main class for running one process. Handles creation
> and configuration of the necessary objects (stream pump, watchdog,
> process destroyer). Can wait for the full execution time to enable
> synchronous return of the process return code or spawn a process to
> run async.
> * Process destroyer: adds itself as a shutdown hook, Execute adds and
> removes created processes to ensure that they are correctly destroyed
> when the JVM stops.
> * WatchDog: used to time out a running process. After a given time has
> passed, the process is checked if it's still running and there after
> destroyed.
> * CommandLauncher: a family of classes for actually starting the
> processes. Implementations exist for e.g. Java 1.1, Java 1.3, WinNT,
> Mac, VMS and so on. These classes handles the platform specifics.
> * Environment: used to retrive the current environment as well as
> setting new environment variables. Reading the current environment is
> done using platform specific commands (e.g. "cmd /c set", "env",
> "/bin/env") and parsing the result. This could of course be improved
> on J2SE 5.0 to use System.getenv() instead.
> * StreamPumper: used to read/write the three stream (in, out, error)
> simultaniously.
> * CommandLine: class for handling (e.g. parsing, quoting) command lines.

It might be worth extracting the interface from Ant, creating an
implementation (using the interface) and then using this in a branch of
Ant just to test that we've extracted all the necessary functionality.
IIRC Environment is really derived through JavaEnvUtils (though I'll
have to check source).  A common interface for a commandLine would allow
us to create platform specific commandLines depending on environment

2c

Kev