commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [logging] proposal
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:51:32 GMT
On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 18:48 +0200, Joerg Hohwiller wrote:

<snip>

> No! My suggestion is NOT to change the LogFactory at all. I do care a
> lot about your compatibility issues.
> Once again: I only would love to see the Logger interface that extends
> Log with the two suggested methods. I would suggest to change
> implementations so that Logger is implemeted rather than Log but I this
> is NOT as important to me. It would only make a lot of sense to not have
> an unimplemented interface lying around there.

OK

so the user would check for the additional interface and cast where
supported?

> > if we are intending to offer better support for IoC then IMHO we really
> > need additional documentation. the folks i've talked to about this were
> > strong on the need for developers to adopt new logging idioms when
> > designing for compatibility with IoC. for example, AIUI the dominant
> > idiom (using a single static assignment)  doesn't play well with IoC.
> > i've learnt the hard way that just adding methods causes nothing but
> > hassle unless there is good documentation about their use...
> The Logger interface should be well documented via javadoc.
> To make the discussion a little more focused, I maybe should write a
> suggestion for the Logger interface and post it to this list.

(most) attachments are stripped so either include in text or attach to a
bug report.

> I would also provide some sections for the FAQ and documention if you like.

that would be good. usage patterns and guidelines for library authors
wishing to make their libraries IoC friendly would be great.

- robert