commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT][email] commons-email release candidate 5 availab
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:13:29 GMT

> robert burrell donkin <rdonkin@apache.org> writes:
>
> >--=-zRC4/Oiuw5rNvyoZNNSQ
>
> >the fifth release candidate for commons email is now available for
> >download from http://people.apache.org/~rdonkin/commons-email/.
>
> I tried this with the current 2.3 snapshot of turbine and replacing
> our ancient commons-email snapshot with 1.0-RC5, I discovered that
> some methods which threw MessagingException (e.g. Email::setTo,
> Email::send) now throw EmailException:
>
>     [echo] Compiling
> to /home/henning/scratch/turbine-svn/turbine-TURBINE_2_3_BRANCH/target/classes
>     [javac] Compiling 432 source files
> to /home/henning/scratch/turbine-svn/turbine-TURBINE_2_3_BRANCH/target/classes
> /home/henning/scratch/turbine-svn/turbine-TURBINE_2_3_BRANCH/target/src/org/apache/turbine/util/velocity/VelocityHtmlEmail.java:192:
send() in org.apache.turbine.util.velocity.VelocityHtmlEmail cannot override send() in org.apache.commons.mail.HtmlEmail;
overridden method does not throw javax.mail.MessagingException
>     public void send() throws MessagingException
>                 ^
> /home/henning/scratch/turbine-svn/turbine-TURBINE_2_3_BRANCH/target/src/org/apache/turbine/util/velocity/VelocityEmail.java:243:
send() in org.apache.turbine.util.velocity.VelocityEmail cannot override send() in org.apache.commons.mail.Email;
overridden method does not throw javax.mail.MessagingException
>     public void send() throws MessagingException

(some unfortunately circumstances sadly meant i stepped in to roll the
release candidate so i'm not up to speed on email) hopefully someone who
knows more will jump in here with a comment (dion? eric?)

> >feedback welcomed
>
> This will be more of a "heads up" for turbine-users, not a real
> problem. Do you have any idea when the 1.0 release will be due? I'm
> planning to do turbine-2.3.2 and it would be nice to get a 1.0 here
> because commons-email is one of our few non-release dependencies.

hopefully it'll be very soon now :)

AIUI there are two API questions which are yet to be resolved. we need
to decide which of these changes will make it into 1.0 (and in what
form). hopefully someone who knows email well will jump in here...

- robert