commons-dev mailing list archives

From Niklas Gustavsson <nik...@protocol7.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] Commons Exec
Date Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:14:06 GMT
Some comments inline.

Brett Porter wrote:
> Thanks for this Niklas, I'll get it kickstarted. I have some feedback:
>
> Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
>

>>Scope of the package
>>------------------------------------
>>The package shall create and maintain a process execution package
>>written in the Java language to be distributed under the ASF license.
>>The Java code might also be complemented with scripts (e.g. Perl
>>scripts) to fully enable execution on some operating systems. The
>>package should aim for supporting a wide range of operating systems
>>while still having a consistent API for all platforms.
>

> I would like to avoid the need for such scripts if possible, but it's
> definitely a thought.

I agree, however, since Ant uses them it might be for a good reason so
just to be sure I added this statement. One possibility for not having
to distribute them would be to generate the scripts on he fly from Java
but I think we can discuss and test this later on.

>>Interaction with other packages
>>------------------------------------
>>This package will using Commons Logging for logging debug and error
>>information.
>

> I'd prefer not. Both Ant and Maven have other ways to log information,
> so if it is to be incorporated back into them it might be an issue. In
> addition, this will need to be capturing and streaming sys.out and err
> which will need more functionality than c-l provides, so we need to have
> an output interface anyway.

I'm perfectly fine with this.

>>* Ant 2.X contains a new exec implementation, especially targeted for
>>reusability (see http://ant.apache.org/ant2/actionlist.html#exec).
>

> Actually, I don't know if Ant2 exists - that page was a proposal from
> quite some time ago IIRC.

I don't think so either (at least I haven't been able to find any code)
but the exec refactoring is said to be 80% done. I'll check with Peter
Donald if this code is available somewhere.

>>Identify the initial set of committers to be listed in the Status File
>>------------------------------------
>>Brett Porter
>>Stefan Bodewig
>

> As requested I'll add Trygve to this list too. He is an Apache committer.
>

>>Niklas Gustavsson (I'm not currently an Apache commiter so I don't
>>know if this is possible)
>

> The same rules apply as to other Apache projects - it is based on merit:
>
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#meritocracy
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles
>
> So, if you show continued commitment to contributing in regards to this
> and/or other commons components, that you are willing to work with
> others and to help people on the users mailing list, then it is possible
> you will be invited to move from being a contributor to a committer.

Sounds good!

> Thanks again! I can set up the component in the sandbox - do you have
> some code to start it with already, or shall we start talking about
> where to start?

While I got some code I would prefer to discuss the high-level
requirements and design first. For example I would be very interested in
  Tryves ideas.

/niklas